Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Your game sucks...and so does mine.

OK, I'll admit it. I used to be somewhat of a junkie when it comes to reading online discussion boards about roleplaying games. On some level, it's nice to see that there are so many people who are passionate about a hobby that I love. However, it is sad to see the energy expended on edition wars and people slamming one another for their choice of games.

Of course, this sort of thing isn't limited to online forums.  I've heard and even been a part of discussions in games stores that have ended up devolving into litanies of reason that game X sucks.  It is of course seems to be the nature of fandom that people feel the need to elevate their choice while simultaneously denigrating the choices of others.

Finding the best game is easy. It's the game that lets you and your friends gather around a table, eating pizza and laughing while you explore places and times that have never been. It's the game that stokes the fires of your imagination while fostering cameraderie and a sense of shared accomplishment. It's the game that is fun for you, no matter what that game may be.  Except maybe Powers & Perils.  Man, that game baffles me. :-)

2 comments:

cmagoun said...

I think the gnarling and gnashing and over analysis is part of the hobby. Griping about game systems is part of the fun... RPGers equivalent to sports. No one looks askance at the fact that I hate the Yankees and the Patriots, but if I think Rifts is a crappy game, I am ruining other peoples' fun...? Not likely.

jrl755 said...

I'm not suggesting that anyone is ruining anyone's fun. Just wishing for more thoughtful and civil discourse than I've seen (and been guilty of). :-)