Sunday, June 16, 2013

Powers & Perils



Back around 1984, I picked up this little gem, Powers & Perils from Avalon Hill.  It was poorly organized, and deadly dull to read, but it did have a cool box cover.  In all the intervening years, I never played the game.  I never even made a character, as I was convinced that it wasn't possible.  But recently, I've decided that any roleplaying game that I own and have never even created a character for must be disposed of.  I've just got too much crap., but for some odd reason, I can't let go of this game.  Maybe it's the fact that it was part of my childhood, maybe it's the artwork, or maybe it's just because it has a box.  I'm a sucker for boxed RPGs.  So I set off to create a character for it.

It was a trip.  The rulebook is filled with abbreviations and formulas that made me feel like I was reading my college calculus book, but I got though it and rolled up Goram the Grim.  He's a fighter of sorts.

I can't say that it was fun, but it was certainly interesting, and surprisingly not as complicated as I had believed.  Oh, sure, there was a lot of math, and I made a few mistakes, as the scratched out numbers on the character sheet show, but it wasn't THAT bad.  All in all, it left me with a slight feeling of accomplishment.  If you are interested in learning more about Powers & Perils, I would direct you to this website.  Everything you could ever want to know is there.

For those of you who are really interested, here is the scratch paper I used in this endeavor.



No comments: